Online Registration
National Conference on "Materials Science & Technology" (MSAT-2015)

History of the College

         The CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese had a golden opportunity to uphold the great traditions of the Church Missionary Society in the field of education in 1964 when the Government of Kerala announced the need to start Junior Colleges in the State. Bishop M.M. John, the then Bishop of the Diocese , took the important decision to start a new junior College in the southern part of the Diocese. His historic decision was viewed as a divine intervention to uphold the Christian values in a changing world.  He named the College BISHOP MOORE COLLEGE, in honour of the late Rt. Rev. Edward Alfred Livingstone Moore, the fourth Anglican Bishop of the Diocese of Travancore-Cochin.

            The Bishop M. M. John entrusted the formidable challenge of establishing the college in the safe hands of Rev. Prof. K.C. Mathew.  Achen along with a dedicated team of 19 teachers and 2 non teaching staff embarked upon this herculean task of building this great Institution.  The first team consisted of Rev. Prof. K. C. Mathew, Prof. M. K. Cherian, Prof. Ninan Koshy, Rev. Prof. Itty Mathew, Prof. George. M. Cherian, Prof. Elizabeth Mathew, Prof. Anna Varghese, Prof. V.C. John, Prof. K. George, Prof. K. P. Annamma, Mrs. Joseph Thundiyil, Mrs. Helen David, Rev. Prof. Thomas Ninan, Prof. T.J.Philip, Rev. P.J. Varghese, Prof. Janardhanan Pillai, Prof. Venketachalam, Prof. K.C .Jacob and Mr. George Varghese among the teaching staff, and Mr. T.K. Mathai and Mr.K.I. Cherian,  among the Non teaching staff. The College had  a very humble beginning with the classes for the first batch commencing in a thatched shed made of coconut leaves. The place where the college stands is called Kallumala (mount of rocks), which was earlier a graveyard, has now been transformed in to one of the best center of learning in Kerala.

             The founding fathers of the College admitted students without any discrimination on the basis of religion.  Merit and suitability was the only criteria for selection of staff at that time. The rights of conscience of all were respected. Special consideration was given to educationally backward section in the matter of admissions.  It was the ardent desire of the founders that the students in its precincts and others leaving the portals of the College should be patriotic and should develop a genuine sense of service to the Nation.

            Bishop Moore College came in to shape at Kallumala, Mavelikara in the Alapuzha District of Kerala. It was started in 1964 as a junior College providing facilities for the two years Pre-degree course of the University of Kerala. The founders of the College had only the words of St. Mathew in Chapter 5 of verse 14 & 15(“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all who are in the house”) to give expression to their vision of the College at Mavelikara.

Bishop E.A.L.Moore

 Rt.Rev.Edward Alfred Livingstone Moore was the fourth Anglican Bishop of the erstwhile Anglican Diocese of Travancore-Cochin, which later became the Diocese of Madhya Kerala of the Church of South India. A Scholar with an M.A from Oxford, he left behind his high academic pursuits and decided to come to India as a missionary in 1902.
                                                                           

This slender, good looking and energetic Anglican clergyman, with his deep sincerity and refined manners, won the affection and regard of all who came into contact with him, in no time. He took charge of the CMS College, Kottayam as its acting Principal at the age of 32. His ability as a lecturer in English, his co-operation with his colleagues, his simple but practical sermons in the College Chapel, the discipline he exercised , tempered with mercy, were all admired by the student community. He studied the South Indian languages to effectively carry out personal interaction with the ordinary people of the land.

Appointed and consecrated Bishop by the Archbishop of Canterbury, he served the Diocese from 1925 to 1937. His simplicity and complete detachment from the world and its charms marked him as an exceptional man of God. Bishop Moore was a bachelor of rather austere and ascetic habits, and far from taking a salary, put back his allowances into a diocesan fund. With a concern for the under-privileged , Bishop Moore started clinics in country boats called ‘Floating Dispensaries’ to take medical aid to distant places in water-logged areas.

He was shy but firm, detached , but attached to the good values of life. The firm stand he took against mass conversion and his determination to accept only genuine seekers were appreciated by Mahatma Gandhi, who visited the Bishop at his residence, when he came to Travancore at the time of the famous Temple-entry proclamation.
Bishop Moore College, Mavelikara stands as a tribute and memorial for a saintly soul whose clarity of vision, commitment to his call and concern for those under his care continues to be an inspiration.

CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese

The Bishop Moore College is governed and administered by the CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese. The CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese are the inheritors of the rich legacy of the Anglican CMS Missionaries who were the pioneers of Education in Kerala. It was the erstwhile Diocese of Travancore and Cochin which later came to be known as the Madhya Kerala Diocese. Prominent among the CMS Missionaries were Rev. Thomas Norton, Rev. Benjamin Bailey, and Rev. Joseph Peet. The missionaries started primary and secondary schools and also built the prestigious CMS College in 1838. It is their work in the educational field which has put Kerala in the forefront of literacy. It is no exaggeration to say that if not for the arrival of CMS missionaries, Kerala would not have achieved its acclaimed social development, especially its high literacy rates.
The missionaries were the pioneers in the field of printing. They mastered the native language of Malayalam and printed two complete editions of the Holy Scriptures and two of the Common Prayer book. Benjamin Bailey also wrote a English-Malayalam Dictionary and a Malayalam-English Dictionary. In 1848 the first periodical in Malayalam ‘the Treasury of Knowledge’ (Jnananikshepam) was published and is still being published as the Diocesan Magazine.
Another notable contribution of the missionaries was in the field of female education. Mrs. Fenn and Mrs. Baker started the very first girls school in India. The missionaries have made an inestimable contribution to the social, economic and cultural development of Kerala